BRG1 – Idaho Steelhead Fishing – Backcountry River Guides
Float Trip for Wild Run Steelhead in the Idaho Wilderness
This is one of the greatest wilderness fishing trips for steelhead in the lower 48!
- All of October and November can be great fishing, but prime time is the last week of October through the 1st week in November.
- Limit is 2 hatchery steelhead per day. *All native fish must immediately be released.
- Both gear fishing and fly fishing trips are possible.
- The beauty and ruggedness of this wilderness area is stunning!
- Accommodations are quality Outfitter tents.
- Eat mouth watering home cooked meals prepared over the campfire.
We believe that this is one of our Top 10, must do fishing trips!
You’ll be fishing for wild run steelhead on the Salmon River as it flows through the vast Frank Church wilderness area in the 2nd deepest canyon in North America. Its granite-walled canyon is one-fifth of a mile deeper than the Grand Canyon, and for almost 180 miles, the Salmon River Canyon is more than one mile deep. Wild and hatchery steelhead enter the Salmon River in the fall and fish runs can greatly depend on the weather and water levels leading up to and in October. Fishing is most productive with gear fishing the deep pools and tail outs of runs. However fly fishing can also be done this time of year with a spey rod. The wilderness section of river you will be fishing offers many runs to swing while wade fishing.
2 nights, 3 days on the river: $900 per person
1 night, 2 days on the river: $600 per person
Minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 people for this trip.
Limited spots available.
Season is mid Oct. – mid Nov.
*Prices subject to change without notice.
- Lodging and meals while on the river
- Guided fishing
- Fishing gear (fly fishermen need to bring their own gear)
- Processing of fish on the river
- Trip Insurance
- Travel to Vinegar Creek boat launch in Riggins, ID
- Overnight stays in Riggins, ID
- Sleeping bag
- Fishing license
- Final fish processing or fish smoking
- Guide gratuity
- Waders and boots if fly fishing
- Beer or liquor
*Fly fisherman need to bring their own equipment.
Lodging and Accomodations
Comfortable wall tent accommodations along the river in our outfitters permitted camp spot. You won’t find a better view to wake up to!
Great dutch oven style meals that will blow you away! After a day of fishing the food will certainly satisfy your needs.
Typical Daily Schedule
- On the first day of your trip you will fish a full day with lunch on the water. Dinner is cooked at camp and prepared by your guide.
- The second day of your trip will be early breakfast followed by all day fishing.
- The final day will be an early breakfast and 3/4 day of fishing before heading back to Vinegar Creek.
Brent is an incredible river guide and has been operating in this section of the river for many years. He is great at getting guests into steelhead gear fishing with plugs or he can help hone your skills with a spey rod!
Limit is 2 hatchery steelhead per day. All native fish must immediately be released.
Boise Idaho is the nearest airport and you can rent a car and drive 2 hours to Riggins Idaho. You will need to overnight in Riggins Idaho the night prior to your trip. There are plenty of motels and restaurants in this quant mountain town. The morning of your trip the outfitter will you pick you up in a jet boat at Vinegar Creek which is the “end of the road.” From there you head up river into the wilderness and the Steelhead fishing adventure begins.
Pickup is about 8am on the first day of your trip and drop off is about 3pm on the last day of your trip.
Don't Forget Trip Insurance!
With travel insurance through Travel Guard you’ll have valuable coverage that travels with you and your family. We’re America’s leading provider of travel insurance plans and assistance programs and we’re here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.Request a Free Quote
Suggested Gear List
- Warm boots
- Warm clothes (layers and preferably a coat with a hood)
- Sleeping bag
- Small overnight bag with personal essentials
- Fishing license
- Fly fishing gear and waders/boots (fly rods in 6-8 weight with various light to moderate sink tips)