Float the Middle Fork of the Salmon River
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River is a renowned whitewater rafting gem located in Idaho’s Frank Church Wilderness. For five or six fun-filled days, you will continuously witness dramatic changes in geology and scenery going from high alpine down to an overall warmer climate.
- World-class whitewater with Class 2, 3 and 4 rapids on gin-clear water through canyons deeper than the Grand Canyon.
- Blue Ribbon catch-and-release fly fishing. Catch unlimited native Cutthroat trout.
- Soak in riverside hot springs.
- See abundant wildlife.
- Luxury primitive camping, and enjoy gourmet river cuisine that will blow your mind.
LET'S START PLANNING YOUR NEXT TRIP
Please be specific so we can find exactly what you're looking for.
Float the World Famous Middle Fork of the Salmon River
The wild, free flowing Middle Fork of the Salmon River is located in one of the largest wilderness areas in the lower 48. If you float the entire Middle Fork of the Salmon, your whitewater float trip will be five or six days and up to 100 miles! For a wilderness experience, you will be surprised how comfortable your guides will keep you during your float. You will have all of the amenities you need. An added bonus is that the fly fishing is EXCEPTIONAL!
World Class Whitewater
This Class IV Middle Fork of the Salmon River drops approximately 28 feet per mile, going from high alpine down to an overall warmer climate where you will float the 2nd deepest canyon in the Lower 48. For six fun-filled days, you will continuously witness dramatic changes in geology and scenery.
The Middle Fork of the Salmon River has over one hundred classified rapids with several of the highest being Class 4 and the rest being Class 1 to 3. The guides work hard to strike a balance between fun and safety. Traditionally, the highest water levels are late May and early June. This is the time to come for the big water. The best whitewater dates book fast, so let us know if you’re interested.
If you want a “mellower” trip come later in the summer.
Whitewater is often the biggest concern when planning your vacation… and these concerns are valid. However, don’t be discouraged from enjoying what countless families described as the “greatest vacation they’ve ever experienced. By the end of June the water levels have usually dropped considerably, but there is still plenty of action. Many of the rapids are actually more fun at lower levels.
This Middle Fork of the Salmon River float can make for an incredibly relaxing family vacation.
- If you like to fish, the flyfishing for wild cutthroat trout is INCREDIBLE! You can catch and release hundreds of fish… literally.
- Or, maybe you are wanting to do something amazing with your significant other… there are numerous hot springs along the way and they can make for the perfect soak for the two of you.
- Bring your kids! This is an amazing family vacation. There are swimming holes everywhere, as well as ancient native American history. Kids love to explore the canyon for pictographs left behind by the Sheepeater Indians.
- The Middle Fork is teeming with wildlife, including: Bighorn sheep, moose, elk, mule deer, bears, wolves, and many smaller animals including the always popular river otter. A bird watchers paradise, you will see a multitude of birds as well.
- You will have all of the amenities you need. Primitive, yet comfortable tent camps on sand bars along the river. You will be surprised how comfortable they make them. Your guides will create dishes that will blow your mind. It doesn’t seem possible to cook such great food in such a remote, rugged atmosphere and over an open fire.
Are you ready to bring your family on the summer vacation of their lives?
It’s more than just whitewater. There’s something for everyone in the family. The vast Frank Church wilderness area is an awe inspiring place to get away from your phone, computer, and the rest of the “real world”. You will see cultural and historical sites, pictographs, the guides will tell you about the mining history, early settler history, you’ll learn about the Sheepeater War, swim, hike, run trails, experience stories around the campfire, there are inflatable kayaks and paddle boat opportunities, as well as deluxe fishing boat options. Your family will be raving about it for years!
This wilderness adventure in Idaho has been described as “life changing” by many of our clients.Get pricing and available dates
Ask about Trip #OI-IWC2