Backcountry New Zealand Fly Fishing
New Zealand fly fishing is some of the most spectacular and challenging in the world.
- Fish for brown trout up to 10 lbs, and rainbows up to 7.
- You can expect to be fishing for migrating fish as they travel from the lakes to their spawning grounds in the high country.
- Sight fishing. Target large fish because of the clarity of the water.
- Challenging, selective, spooky fish, so you will be perfecting your casting.
- Trips are a maximum of 2 clients to 1 guide. Additional guides are brought in for larger groups or if 1×1 guiding is preferred.
- The season runs from October 1 – May 31st.
- Catch and release only.
- In addition to the fishing there are many other activity options in the area such as wine tours, bungee jumping, jet boating, sky diving, scenic flights and much more. More details can be provided on request and can be fit into your itinerary.
This is a great time to be a fly fisherman, and fly fishing doesn’t get more pure than this. Although, we don’t recommend New Zealand for novice fishermen. These fish are big, old and spooky, and on top of that, there aren’t a ton of them. If you are a good caster, and you’re ready to sight fish to big, hard to catch trout, this is the trip for you.
*It is catch and release only. Although not required by law it is the best way to conserve such pristine wild fisheries.
Our Advice is Free
The Fishing and the Guides
You will be casting with predominantly nymph or dry flies. You will be casting with a leader in excess of 12 feet. All fishing is normally done with a 5-6wt 9 foot rod with floating lines. Casting with accuracy is more important than distance as most casts will be 20-30 feet. Lake fishing can either be stalking edge cruising brown trout or targeting rainbows schooling at river mouths in preparation for migration.
Trips are a maximum of two clients to one guide. Additional guides are brought in for larger groups or if 1×1 guiding is preferred.
Food and Lodging
A normal trip is 7 nights with 5 days of fishing. This trip is split into two sections, with the first 4 nights taking place in a local lodge and the following 2 nights in a basic backcountry hut with the remaining night based on where you are fishing at the time as planned.
Transportation to and from fishing locations is done by helicopter, small plane or 4 wheel drive vehicle and can include a good amount of hiking each day.
Lodge accommodations is a luxury lodge located in Wanaka with king or twin bed configurations, free wifi, cable tv, restaurant and bar.
Backcountry accommodations are basic accommodations with limited facilities, single bunk beds, open fire place, non flushing toilet, solar lighting and BBQ dinners.
Queenstown Airport (NZQN) is the gateway to this region of New Zealand. You can get here via transfer at Auckland International Airport. Direct flights to Auckland depart from San Francisco, Los Angeles and Houston.